Issuing Landslide Clearance for Construction in Landslide Prone Areas
Since majority of recent landslides are induced by human intervention, His Excellency the President, as the chairperson of the National Council for Disaster Management (NCDM), and the Ministry of Disaster Management have decided to make obtaining concurrence of NBRO mandatory when construction activities are implemented in the identified landslide prone areas.
The objectives of issuing NBRO’s clearance for construction in landslide prone areas are to minimize the landslide disaster risk and to increase the safety of life and property from future slope instabilities. This objective is achieved by
- evaluating the existing landslide susceptibility of the land selected for the intended construction based on the existing geological, geotechnical and hydrological characteristics of the terrain enclosing the selected site
- evaluating the possible changes in slope stability due to the required ground preparations and slope modifications for planned construction
- evaluating the possible changes in slope stability due to the impact of planned construction on the hydrological characteristics of the terrain
- recommending planned construction, with necessary conditions, when the potential to landslides/slope failures are minimal
- studying the terrain in detail when there is a potential to landslides/slope failures, and if mitigation is viable, then recommending introduction of remedial measures for the intended construction to minimize the susceptibility for any anticipated landslides/slope failures, and
- discouraging construction where there is a susceptibility to landslides/slope failures for which remedial measures are not feasible.
Landslide Prone Districts
Kandy, Matale, Nuwara Eliya, Badulla, Kegalle, Ratnapura, Kalutara, Galle, Matara, and Hambantota have been declared as landslide prone districts by NBRO. Therefore, all construction that take place within those ten (10) districts need to obtain NBRO’s clearance.
Mode of Requesting Landslide Clearance from NBRO
- Local authorities and other project approving agencies, which approve any construction within the landslide prone districts mentioned above, need to request their clients to submit NBRO’s clearance certificate along with the application for building permit for the planned construction
- Local authorities may issue their clients the copies of the application and the guidelines to complete the application, when the clients obtain building applications from them.
- Individuals or agencies which plan to do construction within the districts above, should submit the application to the respective district office of NBRO for requesting landslide clearance.
- All applications should accompany the following documents
- For Building Approval
- Construction drawings and building layout plan certified by a professionally qualified person. For houses with the floor area less than 80 sq m, building and layout plans certified by a technically qualified person is sufficient.
- A copy of the survey plan prepared by a licensed surveyor for the plot of land where the construction takes place.
- For Land Sub Division Approval
- A copy of the survey plan prepared by a licensed surveyor for the plot of land to be sub divided
- Contour plan of the piece of land to be subdivided prepared by a licensed surveyor
- The client is required to pay an application processing fee as indicated below.
- The client will receive a receipt for the payment that he or she made for processing the application and a reference number issued for the request.
- Any subsequent communication by the client with NBRO regarding the status of the application should include the reference number issued by NBRO
Application processing fee
Construction of houses by low income families and Samurdhi beneficiaries: Rs. 100.00
Other housing, religious and public buildings based on the area of the land where construction takes place:
|Area is less than 20 Perches||-||Rs. 500.00|
|Area is between 20 – 40 Perches||-||Rs. 1,000.00|
|Area is between 40 – 60 Perches||-||Rs. 1,500.00|
|Area is between 60 – 80 Perches||-||Rs. 2,000.00|
|Area is between 80 – 100 Perches||-||Rs. 2,500.00|
|Area is between 100 Perches- 01 Acre||-||Rs. 3,000.00|
|Area more than 01 Acre||-||Rs. 4,000.00|
For commercial buildings including industrial and hotels
|Area is less than 01 Acre||-||Rs. 5,000.00|
|Area is between 01 – 02 Acres||-||Rs. 10,000.00|
|Area is between 02 – 03 Acres||-||Rs. 15,000.00|
|Area is between 03 – 04 Acres||-||Rs. 20,000.00|
|Area is between 04 – 05 Acres||-||Rs. 25,000.00|
|Area is more than 05 Acres||-||Rs. 25000 + Rs. 2,500.00 per each additional Acre|
For any construction other than buildings, please obtained an estimate certified by NBRO and pay accordingly