- Human settlements studies related to disaster risk assessment.
- Human settlements studies related to environmental project appraisal
- Cost effective housing options including design, construction, and housing
- Resettlement and rehabilitation work related to natural disasters
- Monitoring and evaluation studies on socio- economic aspects of projects
- Human Settlements Studies Related IEE and EIA
- Providing inputs on land use planning practices in disaster prone settlements
- Conducting of disaster risk reduction awareness programmes
1.0 Human Settlements Studies Related to Disaster Risk Assessment
Disaster risk assessment (DRA) is one of important assessment for planning and management of human settlements. Many development projects require the hazard assessments and disaster risk assessments to develop a safer built environment. Also, identification of safer settlements, identification of action projects, introducing of insuring system are some examples of needs of DRA.
HSPTD was conducting several DRA exercises in past few years. Based on the experience, NBRO has a DRA tool to provide unique and diversification solutions to the client.
- Sustainable disaster risk reduction measures for human settlement in landslide prone areas [Research - Ongoing]
- Mainstreaming disaster risk reduction in urban local authority in Matara MC area [Completed]
- Mainstreaming disaster risk reduction in urban local authority in Kalutara UC area [Completed]
- Study on socio-economic condition of households located in areas identified as ground subsidence and effect of tectonic behavior of victoria shear zone in Matale District
2.0 Human Settlements Studies Related to Project Appraisal
Project appraisal is a contemporary subjective area to understand the feasibility of the project. Sustainability of the project is required for the government or client to define the investment is in the right direction.
1. Final evaluation on community based disaster management project
3.0 Cost Effective Housing Options Including Design, Construction and Housing
NBRO introduced the soil-cement block for the building construction industry and it was successfully spread in the county. After, NBRO used low cost housing technology for disaster prone human settlements as a poverty reduction measures for the settlements.
- Permanent Shelter Options for Landslide victims in Hanguranketha Area
- Priority Implementation Partnership (PIP) Project in Mainstreaming Disaster Risk Reduction into Housing Sector in Sri Lanka
- Design for Plantation Sector Community Centre, Wathukaraya
4.0 Resettlements and Rehabilitation Assessments Related to Natural Disasters
Regeneration of disaster victim areas are vital for the rehabilitation of livelihood in the area. Structural and non structural mitigation measures are used to regeneration of activities in the area. Recently, NBRO marked a milestone by implementing of regeneration activity in Peradeniya landslide area.
- Post Landslide Mitigation – Regeneration of Peradeniya Township
5.0 Monitoring and Evaluation Studies of Socio-Economic Aspects of Projects
Disaster management activities are widely implementing under several organizations, institution and societies. Therefore, evaluation and monitoring of such projects are very essential under the recognized concepts in disaster management.
- Final Evaluation of Community Based Disaster Management Project
- Study on Socio-Economic Condition of Household and Township Located in Area Identified as Landslide in Padiyapelalla Town and Vicinity (Phase I)
- Social Cost Benefit Analysis for Proposed Landslide Prevention Project
6.0 Human Settlements Studies Related IEE and EIA
Environmental examinations are important technical assessments in many development projects. HSTPD has experienced in similar kind of examinations which were conducted under several consultancy projects. Assessment of direct impacts and indirect impacts in human settlements are most important aspect in the project.
- Study on Environmental Characteristics and Assessment of Environmental Impacts for Proposed Mass Scale Waste to Energy Project at Kaduwela
- Municipal Solid Waste Characterization for the Waste to Energy Project at Kaduwela
- Initial Environmental Examination Study for the Proposed Urban Park at Polonnaruwa, Thamankaduwa Pradeshiya Sabha
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for Proposed Diyawannawa Uyana Project
- Initial Environmental Examination for Harvesting Pinus trees at Ambalakanda/Maligakanda estate of Sri Vishnu Devalaya Kandy
7.0 Providing Inputs on Land use Planning Practices in Disaster Prone Settlements
NBRO as a technical institute provides technical inputs to planning departments to secure the human settlements. These inputs are based on several studies conducted by NBRO in different perspectives of settlement. Several guidelines also published under this theme.
- Development of Land Use Map and Plan Based on Flood Hazard Zonation Kalutara UC Area
- Settlement Adaptation and Construction Guidelines for Landslide Mitigation Guidelines for Landslide Mitigation of Peradeniya Town
- Awareness Material on Disaster Risk Reduction
- Study on Climate Change and its Impacts on Natural Disasters in Sri Lanka
8.0 Conducting of Disaster Risk Reduction Awareness Programmes
NBRO conducted several disaster risk reduction awareness programme in several stratus of the society. Institutional levels, School levels, Community levels, Professionals, and International level are the some examples of different stratus of this programmes.
- Asian Programme for Regional Capacity Enhancement for Landslide Impact Mitigation-Community School Base Rainfall Data Collection for Landslide Disaster Risk Reduction Demonstration Project in Kalutara District
- Improving Preparedness and Multi Sectoral Networking in Humanitarian Agencies for Mitigation and Adaptation to Landslide
- Training Course on Community Based Disaster Risk Reduction in Challenging Urban Environment
- Programme for the Study Tour of Senior Government Officials of Bangladesh to Sri Lanka
- Training Programme on Remote Sensing and GIS for Red Cross Society in Badulla